Monday, August 25, 2014

School Daze

A friend of mine posed a question on Facebook today: Who was your favorite elementary school teacher/year?  Everyone commented stating how they loved Ms. So and So and why.  I racked my brain, trying to think of what my teachers' names were, let alone which year was my favorite.

The thing is, I don't remember elementary school.  Period.  It's a blank slate.  I've got nothin' except for one time one of the boys in my class made me cry.  I know what school I went to and I know some of the people I attended class with because I was in school with them up through high school.  However, I can not recall anything from elementary school.

Does that make me a freak?  Should I be worried?  I have a few ideas as to why this is so, but they are just ideas and not worth sharing with anyone.  It makes me a little angry.  Everyone is so happy with all their happy memories of these super inspiring teachers that made him/her feel special and I have a foggy blankness.  Was I the smelly kid?  The weird kid (ok, yes I was probably the weird kid).  I remember not having a lot of actual friends in school.

The point I'm trying to make is that I'm glad I'm past that age.  I am glad I am grown enough that I don't have to go to school and I can surround myself with people who love and support me.

I hope your children are happy with school.  I hope they do not encounter bullies and they like their teachers and they make memories that they will actually be able to remember 25 years after the fact.

Yay for school because knowledge IS power.  It just makes it better when you can remember.

For something happy and inspiring, please watch this.  (You know, to end on a positive note!)


No comments:

Post a Comment